Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Gettin' Rid of the Bugs

This year I bought a Citronella plant(also known as a Mosquito plant) at a local garden center, I heard that it was a good plant to ward off bugs, so I wanted to try it out. After a quick spray paint of lime green paint on the flower pot I planted the Citronella plant and put it on our front porch. The plant smells great and works well in the shade.
While working in the yard one evening, I noticed a few bugs flying around me, so I picked off a leaf of the plant and rubbed in on my legs, arms and neck. I didn't realize it at the time, but after I was done working, I noticed that there weren't any bugs around me and I didn't get bitten...I was pleasantly surprised. And at night there aren't a lot of bugs flying around the light fixtures on the porch, compared to years past.    
Since I bought the plant it has nearly doubled in size, which is great, but I'm not sure if I planted it in a big enough pot, I'll have to wait and see. I read somewhere that this plant is easy to catch roots from a cutting, so I'm testing that now.
I hope that this plant can work well in the house during the cooler months of the year so that I don't have to buy new plants every year. I just love it. If I added another plant on the other side of the porch a few plants in the yard, it would not only be fragrant but a great deterrent for those flying critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you have to say, so please leave a comment.